9.23.2006

 

Poem I just wrote partly to make Bryan Miller pissed but mostly just for fun

-
-

When I was a kid
because I read a lot of books
I thought I should think that
there was no such thing as happiness

Then later I suspected that
happiness was not impossible
only impossible to notice
until after it was gone

But when I had none of it
I thought if it ever returned
I would know what happiness was
and enjoy it for a while

And soon enough it did return
long enough for me to know
and left just as soon as I knew
it didn’t want me to.

Comments:
oh come on, you read a lot of books when you were a kid too. you wouldn't be a poet if you didn't, right? I would worry about that line seeming self-congratulatory if it werent for the painfully mundane thought that follows it. and I think the voice there is meant to sound a little naive/precocious, mirroring the rhetoric that changes as the voice does later.
 
Well, what did they teach you about happiness?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?